Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Gamex 2013



So, another Gamex has come and gone and I am much the better for it. I love the Strategicon series of events and have been working as a volunteer there for quite a few years. Its certainly not the largest game convention, but I think it offers a great range of gaming in a rich and welcoming atmosphere.

Strategicon may have a bad rap with some people. There were times when this was not the best series of events in town, but I think much has changed for the better thanks to the fact that the convention is owned and run by fans and not by people in the industry or in retail.

It's Miller Time!


At this Gamex I primarily ran the X-Wing Assault on the Pontiff event. I have been probably making everyone sick talking about that so I will make this quick. I ran this event three times with 2 Rebel wins and 1 Imperial.  The two Rebel wins being very close calls. I can't believe how popular this game is and how positive the crowd reaction was to the Pontiff. It's the first event I have ever run where people went out of their way to thank me and congratulate me on Monday during breakdown. I can't wait to expand on this and maybe take the event on tour to some game stores in the area.

I only got one opportunity to run my King of Monsters vs. The League of Righteousness game. Unfortunately, I didn't get my custom Uno cards until Tuesday after the con. Damn USPS! But other than that my one game went well, with the King of Monsters being beaten back to the ocean at the loss of the LoR HQ! Thanks to Gamecraft Miniatures for the donation of the terrain and thanks to +John Paiva for the huge Godzilla model.


I also got to run +David Berg 's "Within my Clutches" roleplaying game. I can't say enough positive things about this fun and easy four player roleplaying game that sets each player as a Villain and all the other corollary characters in a round robin storytelling extravaganza. I would love to add this to my list of games that would be great for introducing Narrative Driven RPG's to a group. Much fun was had by all, especially since we ran until 2 a.m. playing it. I am going to work hard to make indie games more accessible at Strategicon, so cross your fingers that I get my way!

There was another great Kaiju game run by one of our associates from the Monstore. His Godzilla in Monster Island game was incredibly popular and fun.  He had a dozen Kaiju including Godzilla, Mecha Godzilla, Rodan, King Ghidorah and others. All these monsters stomped through Tokyo, destroying buildings, military vehicles and each other for fun and profit.  Good times.

It was also the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and we had our friends from HMGS (Historical Miniatures Gaming Society)  out in force with Day 1 and 2 of the battle represented on two days of events.

+Christopher Jackson ran a great Mutants and Masterminds game that gave us a hint at what happened before the events of the video game Farcry and +James Forest kicked it old school with a rousing game of Castle Falkenstein.

Stay tuned for more pictures and details of all the fun that was had on Memorial Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment